“Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.” – Harry S. Truman.
It is essential that people involved in leading ministries be readers—whether that ministry be preaching, student ministry or leading a small group. Reading is essential because it helps us understand that we don’t know everything. It helps remind us that we are dependent creatures. It also helps us learn from people who we would otherwise never have the opportunity to learn.
This fall I built my wife a kitchen table. And I learned that if you’re going to get into woodworking, you need to have the right tools. A circular saw, a square, a measuring tape. These are necessary items. Well, there are some essential books that would greatly aid anyone in the ministry and we want to give some of those away. Dr. Prince has identified 14 books that he thinks every Christian in ministry should own and we’re going to give away one of them each week for the next 14 weeks.
- The King in His Beauty – Thomas Schreiner
- Adopted for Life – Russell Moore
- Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament – G.K. Beale/D.A. Carson (editors)
- What is Biblical Theology? – James Hamilton
- Gospel-Centered Hermeneutics – Graeme Goldsworthy
- Knowing God – J.I. Packer
- Called to the Ministry – Edmond Clowney
- The Cross and Christian Ministry – D.A. Carson
- Words to Winners of Souls – Horatius Bonar
- The Cross of Christ – John Stott
- Christianity and Liberalism – J. Gresham Machen
- All Around Ministry – Charles Spurgeon
- Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life – Don Whitney
- Trusting God – Jerry Bridges
You can enter several ways. First, you can sign up for our email list. This way gets you entered into all 14 giveaways. Second, we are using a service called Rafflecopter. Through Rafflecopter, you can get additional entries by following Dr. Prince or the Prince on Preaching twitter account. You can tweet a message saying you just entered that specific giveaway (you can do this once per day). You can leave a comment on the blog post. Other options may be added as we go.
The giveaway for each book will last about one week. It will begin Monday and end Saturday. We will pick the winner on Sunday.
To enter this week’s give away, click here.